Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Last Time & Once More

About two weeks ago Monday, it was a very normal day. It was the day before final exams were slated to begin and business as usual before the school year ended. As I was walking to my sixth class, I walked up my usual staircase as I had been doing since August 2011.


As I turned the corner, I passed The Archenemy and spouse. By itself, a very regular and uneventful occurrence. But after we arrived at the landing on the second floor, my friend (and handler) Steph turned to me and said, "Hey, that's the last time ever."

Puzzled, I asked, "What do you mean 'last time ever'?"
"Well," she began, "it's the last time you'll ever see [him] again. It's the end of the year!"
"Oh yeah!" I exclaimed as we walked.

And thinking of it now, although not the last time I saw him (as I saw him last week during Checkout), it's a reminder of the fighting. And the awkward eye contact. And the avoidance. All in the name of pride.

And to commorate such a historic event, an ESF InfoGraph.


I thought that's the last time I'd ever see him. But I stand corrected. Last Tuesday was the Upperclassmen checkout. As I stood talking to a friend standing near the front door of the school, he walked out with some person. We exchanged glances (I think) for the last time... ever. 


And that's the end of that chapter.

3/28/2013 UPDATE: I actually saw him one more time, at graduation. See the July 9th post, The Graduate.


This post is part of The Troubles series