Saturday, June 9, 2012

The Graduate

I was awaken by my dad. He said, "Son, take down the recycling." I groggily got out of bed. The clock registered 7.25 AM. Plenty of time. Because of a performance the night before, I couldn't walk. I dragged my right leg behind me as I headed towards the kitchen and out the back door. It was warm, and I could feel the humidity in the air.

"Christ it's hot," I murmured with an eye closed.


I limped to the closed gate, opened it, and then picked up the bin, leaking water from thunderstorms earlier in the week. I walked the ninety-or-so feet to the curb. I went back to get the other one and dragged it down to the curb, my good foot getting soaked by the collected rainwater again.

No one was awake. "I have plenty of time," I thought. I dawdled for twenty-minutes or so before I woke up my mom and began to get dressed. Wore a light blue shirt with a striped blue tie, put on my gown, and left at 8.45 AM with my whole family in tow.We got there just in time, but my family demanded I take photos with them. In a rush, I gave in and took a few before I walked to the back of the building. 

There was a huge line out the back. I stopped in front of a car and put on my medals. The line began to move inside and we divided into our row assignments depending whether the number was odd or even. We were led to a staircase while we waited for people to trickle in. After an hour, my row led in the procession. We were greeted with applause and cheers as we walked onstage.

The other ten rows followed and then the speeches began. The salutatorian (the #2) spoke first. Then the band began to play and then the choir, which I was in, began to sing. Greatest thing ever. Better than those speeches. Then the valedictorian spoke. She quoted Steve Jobs and Dr. Seuss in her speech. Almost near shot myself, but god-damn-it, no gun.

And then the handing out of the diplomas began. One-by-one, they called each person in alphabetical order, from Adams, to Gonzales, to Garcia (to Garcia, to Garcia, to Garcia), to Perez, to Zapata. So many G's; I thought I was going to explode!

A few rows ahead sat The Archenemy. As they called up his row, I saw him get up and walk towards the stage. Last time I ever, I promise. He had a rope around him, and maybe a stole if I can remember it. I do have to admit though, when they called The Archenemy's name, I clapped for him. Mistress Tiffany, if you remember her, was sitting in the row ahead, heard me clapping for him. She turned back and gave me a look, to which I explained that, "He may hate me, but that doesn't mean I can't cheer him on."

I sat there until they called my row and then I walked. I shook the hands of all the people there and believe me, that took forever. As I walked, I avoided looking at the people on the first row. Those who sat there were the top 10 of the school. As a Boston English teacher said, "You're not special."

And then came the end of the ceremony. The Alma Mater played and we all shook our fingers in the air. And then, during the final beats, hats flew. A most precious moment.

We were led out of the auditorium and then received the actual diploma (earlier we had received the holder). I took some final photos and said my good-byes to those I had come to know and love over the last four years.

Earlier that morning, I had planned to meet-up with The Archenemy's spouse, but I couldn't find her. She had left before me. I was saddened. But she signed my yearbook, which is all that counts. :)

I was then taken to a Chinese restaurant for lunch and may I say, a great ending to a great day, even if it was hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment