Friday, September 23, 2011

(My) Cold Shoulder & The Foreign Exchange Student

If you've ever been a new student, you know how it feels when you walk into a class: you look at a sea of unfamiliar faces and a terror washes over you. Well, imagine feeling that along with being a different country thousands of miles away. Some foreign exchange students fit into the school’s culture and go with the flow, especially if their home country is a language 70% of the school’s population can already speak.

Well, my story begins with a girl, a girl from Germany. It was a Tuesday morning and I as sat there, looking at my government notebook, there's a knock at the door. The teacher's assistant opened the door, and standing there, in front of a medley of students was this girl. My teacher greeted the girl with Southern generosity and she sat down in a desk next to me.

I couldn't help but notice that the people around me (in this case, four people) all said "hi!" to her and introduced themselves. I, on the other hand, just sat there, as a shy as a deer in a forest. I tried to think of a way in which I could introduce myself, but unfortunately, nothing came to mind. Hours would pass before I saw her again, and then, voilá, she was then in my anatomy class. I couldn't help but feel guiltier for not introducing myself, but again... I would hesitate, mainly because I don't do well with introductions.

Days would pass and I'd see her, and I'd feel bad. For example, last week, we had a test in government. As I glanced over to see how she would do on her first exam, she had this look on her face of confusion, not understanding the content (mainly because she had only arrived two days prior). I saw the opportunity to help, thinking I would say, "Do you need help?" but hesitated and I found myself losing, what I thought, would be the only major chance to say, "Hi, my name is Eddie."

Again, days passed, and on Wednesday, while sitting at a lab table in my science class, I told my friend Stephanie that I felt real bad about not having introduced myself days prior. I figured that I'd never be able to do it, missing certain chances, but life has its ways... and this morning, one of them found me.

At 7:29, I walked in class and saw her sitting there, reading the textbook laid about her desk. We made eye contact and she flashed me a smile. I smiled back... and the tension was overwhelming. I began to walk to my desk when I got my cajones and finally said to her: "Do you mind if I tell you something?"

"Um, yes, go ahead." she replied in an accent.

"Well," I began, "I feel really bad about not introducing myself when you arrived last week. I feel that I should "apologize for not doing it sooner, so here it is:

"Hi, my name is Eddie." We shook hands.

She replied with her name in the same style and as I sat down, I asked her, "So, do you like it here?"
"Um, yes, I do." she replied quietly.

"And what do you like about it best?" I asked.
She took a moment in answering me. "I'm not sure yet."
I chuckled and then asked her if she was homesick.
"A little" she replied.

"You know, you might miss your home," I said reassuringly, "but you'll find that life has its own surprises and they show up when you most likely don't expect it. You 'd be surprised to find that what you experience may remind you of your own home."

She nodded politely as the bell rang. And the pressure came off my chest like somehow, someone had come along and taken the load off. And it would come in hand later on, when she asked what to do before a pep rally today.

I felt really glad to help her. And in introducing myself, I think I made her realize that there are people who will help her when she needs it. And as my government teacher says, "And that’s the rest of the story.”

No comments:

Post a Comment