Thursday, January 24, 2013

Jericho


Text taken from the Soundbox post: "Gideon, Joshua."


I’m not particularly a religious person. I mean, I’ve done my First Communion, but I haven’t sealed the deal.
During my senior year in high school, I was somehow placed in the a-Capella choir. I didn’t know how it happened, but I decided to give it a try, unlike that Calculus class.
The first song of the year was a particularly hard one written by some twenty-seven year-old asshole who I guess had nothing better to do than to arrange and write an eight page ballad to the moon. But I’m not bitter…
After the holiday season, we were given this as a piece we were going to sing at a competition. I can remember the good things about this piece, but damn, hearing us singing it… friggin’ fantastic.
I sang tenor… but we’re the jelly in the SATB sandwich. The “A”s, meh.
Featured here is the Nathaniel Dett Chorale singing "The Battle of Jericho," a traditional spiritual arranged by the late Moses Hogan. 
This is truly one of my favorite songs I've ever sung...