Tuesday, January 22, 2013

From Houston, With Love


As we all know, yesterday was the public ceremony of President Obama taking the oath of office of the President of the United States. A private ceremony (broadcast on television) was held on Sunday, the 20th. I remember the ceremonies back 2009, standing the orchestra classroom in my high school, watching on the fuzzy picture on the television screen. It was a cold January day.

Now, four years later, it was much warmer. 55F to be exact. Cold by Texas standards. Anyway, there were many celebrities at both the ceremonies and the galas that followed. One major celebrity at the public ceremony was Mrs. Beyoncé Knowles, which hails from Houston. Thus From Houston, with love.

When I logged on to Facebook this morning, I saw a picture consisting of music staves with notes and lots of trills in between. I didn't think much of it until I got on CNN's website and saw an article that says Mrs. Knowles might have lip-synced the performance. And later on, I saw a recording of the performance from the New York Times and figured, "Hey, they're talking about her." 


The performance sounded amazing, and if she was lip-syncing, she sure had me fooled. I'm not a big fan of the New York Times (I have Mr. Rodriguez to blame for that), but I mean, they got tenure. 162 years of it to be exact.

And speaking of Houston, there was news today that there was a shooting at a local community college. Sad, isn't? 

I guess it just can't get a break.