Thursday, November 8, 2012

Private Digichromagraphs II & Gold Seas


This afternoon, after having finished cleaned the house, I found myself with some time on my hands. I could either do what I do or take some photos. I noticed how windy it was outside, so I decided to stick with the latter. Didn't want to miss my chance with the falling leaves again.


I got out my parent's Fuji camera and began with some digichromagraphs, explained here. A few weeks ago, I experimented with fire and smoke digichromagraphs, resulting in what I called my Rainbow Smoke digichromagraphs. This time, I wanted to do the same, so I got some paper, an empty box of pasta, and the camera. I placed the pasta box in the sink, caught the paper on fire, and placed the paper fire-side down into the box.

As I waited, smoke began to pour out of the top of the paper, like a chimney. I started snapping away. I took about 12 photos, but none to my satisfaction because there wasn't enough smoke. So I tried it again. I folded another piece of paper into a long strand, set one end on fire, and placed it fire-side in the box. Again, the smoke started to rise. This time, there was WAY more than before.

As the plume of smoke rose, I began to snap away. Click. Click. Click. As the fire grew as did the smoke. But I didn't notice something... the empty pasta box had caught on fire! Using your common sense, you would not put an object on fire into a paper-anything. Unlike the first time I did this, there wasn't any dirty dishes to prop up the flaming paper on. So I reached for the nearest thing that would support the paper... an empty pasta box from Aldi.

Anyway, the fire grew in intensity as it began to engulf the entirety of the box. I was maybe three feet away and I could feel the heat as the fire grew, the flames reaching the bottom of pots suspended above the sink. I was still taking pictures when it grew so large that I didn't think I could open the faucet to put it out. Leaving the camera on the counter, I grabbed a wooden spoon and turned the faucet on.

Ssssssssss. The fire was washed out. The kitchen smelled of burnt cardboard, and there was ash everywhere from the box carried by the heat.

I call this Rainbow Fire - A. It's the event with the order of
photos changed.
This is Rainbow Fire - B. This is one is less dramatic, but is
the same event, with the pictures placed in order.
I swear to God... the things I do to experiment with a Russian's colour photography process.

It's fine though. After putting the fire out and dumping the body in alley, I noticed all the leaves falling. I took several photos, my favorite here fo' you.


Photographs/Digichromagraphs © 2012 Eddie Sigala, all rights reserved