Thursday, October 4, 2012

My Own Private Digichromatographs


As I wrote back in September, I have fallen in love with a color process by one Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii. It's something that anyone can do, provided you have the software, if they wanted to.

Just to note, since I don't own any primary color filters, I have to fake it, but it gets the same results. The thing that really gets me though, is the effects of movement. For example, if a moving car is only in one of the photographs, then that car will only exist in that wavelength. If your camera moves during the shots, then your end result is a sixteen megapixel smear, but you can always align it.

Before and since I wrote the tutorial, I've experimented with the process. I wouldn't say these are real-world experiments because it's not like I'm standing out on the corner of Pacific and Akard taking photographs of people and passing traffic. I'm just in my kitchen burning the hoose down and seeing coors pass down the street. The next step up would be taking photographs of people, because they are the toughest subjects. Have you ever tried to keep a four-year-old or a thirty-six-year old still? I think not. 

And the next graduating step is to do with a film camera, using black-and-white film and those color filters I mentioned earlier. Not using digital, no instant gratification, paying for development and then scanning and aligning on your computer. That, or learning how to develop B&W film in your garage with an amber safety light. Wouldn't that just be the bee's knees? *swoon* I can just feel the chemicals burning through my rubber gloves and steel tongs. Aahhh.

Oh, and if you're thinking of doing it, for the love of God, do not use the flash. That will taint your experiment and you'll have to do it all over again. Got it? Alright, then.

Here are my experimental photographs, what I call digichromagraphs, or digichromatographs, depending on how you pronounce it.

This probably my crowning achievement. I call it
'Rainbow Smoke'

This is a good example of what happens if you move
your camera or if you move. Remember, keep still or use
a tripod!
I had another one with a car in it, but I can't find it. Oh well.
-----------------------------
Coming Soon... intro
It's no Private Idaho, but it does the trick!
Coming soon to the ESF.