Tuesday, September 11, 2012

9/11


As someone pointed on Twitter, kids who were seven when 9/11 occurred are now eighteen and can join the army.

That's a bit of a shocker, because I remember that day somewhat. I won't say that I remember every detail of it, because I'll see what I can conjure up. I don't remember waking up that day, but I do remember being called to a carpet and stage my teacher had in the back of the classroom. It was a blue-green carpeted stage and one of those director's chairs that you see so often in actor interviews.

She sat down and once we were settled, she told us that two planes had hit the World Trade Center in New York. I don't remember anyone gasping, because we were like seven, but we knew it was bad. I think either her voice began to break or that she was tearing up, but one way or another, she was very upset about it. After she explained the events, which I figure she did, I heard some kid, whose name I still remember, Roy, exclaimed, "Cool!" 

Of course, he was seven and with enough action movies, we all think a plane crashing is pretty major event. Any way, for some reason, I yelled back, "That's not cool, Roy!" God knows where that came from, but it just came out of me. He didn't respond, and that's what happened in the classroom.

Going to lunch, I remember tables set-up at the front entrance of the school with papers strewn across them. I figure they were sign-out sheets for parents who came and got their children. I didn't see any parents come, but some might have arrived since I really only saw the table that one time. An office aide, who still works at the school somehow, because I remember she was a mean lady (even today), was the attendant.

I don't remember any more of the school day, but when I got home, I remember walking into my room and turning on a small television we had at the time. Before '06, it was normal for the WB affiliate here to show cartoons in the afternoon for kids coming home, so I turned on the TV, switched to the channel, and when all I saw was news, I said, "Where's Pokémon? I wanna watch Pokémon!" 

It didn't dawn on me until 2007 that I had lived during the biggest historical event in decades and that when I came home, I wanted to watch Pokémon. Jesus Crust. But hey, I was seven, so you really can't blame me. My parents never did explain what had happened, so I wasn't really in touch with what happened. Even now, I feel a bit disconnected, but I was too young to really know what was going on, but now I know. 

That's what important.