Tuesday, June 26, 2012

I'm Melting Honey!

"Today, we reached a high of 106!" exclaimed the meteorologist. It's been a hot week here in Texas as we feel the wrath of high pressure on our state. As I published last year and mentioned in an SMCS post in September, we broke the record of days above 100°F (~38°C) set in 1981. We failed to break the record for consecutive days above 100°F, which was forty-two (we only reached forty in 2011).

For most of this month, we'd been having great weather, considering it's June. For a few days two weeks ago, we had highs in the 70s (20s°C) with great cool winds out of the north. All that changed last week with high pressure moving overhead and establishing it's dominating-self over the mid-western section of the country. I don't consider Texas part of the Midwest, but any who...

This week has been a extraordinarily hot one, considering the normal high is 94°F (~34°C) and low 75°F (~24°C). Our air condition has been running most of the day and it has affected me personally.


Last year, we had to replace a window on the west side of our home. It was energy saving window, in the context that it would prevent A/C loss in the summer and heating in the winter. Compared to the other old windows on the same side, it's cooler than the plate-glass ones. We learned that after the window, which was in direct sunlight in the afternoon, was capable of burning you after a minute of direct contact or so.

I had to cover the window in aluminum foil to reflect as much sun as possible. It still gets hot, but prevents our kitchen from heating up due to the transfer of heat via convection. On Tuesday, my dad covered the windows in my room with aluminum. He did it, he said, because my room became the warmest in the house. And it is. If the living room is at 75°, mine is at 84°. Now I'd never know what time it is if it wasn't for the clock that tops my television set. Thankfully, there is some overlap, so I still see light, but I miss the sun. 


We're still in for a hot day today (the 28th), but it's going to "cool down" back in the upper 90s, which more near the average high of 94°F (~34°C). Hooray for the nineties! 

No comments:

Post a Comment