Friday, November 4, 2011

The Big Game

In mid-July, the football teams here in Texas gear up for the upcoming season by practicing in the summer heat. They endure weeks of practice all for playing ten weeks in the fall, and if they have played hard and beat many, they move on to beat others, and maybe, even soon, make a state championship.

Where I go to school, our team does the same, gathering and practicing in the summer sun. When August comes around and school finally starts, they're excited to head on out to the field and represent their school. And when that times comes... we get our asses handed to us.

As I mentioned in "Why My High School..." back in July, we haven't a good season in years. The average scores have been lousy, and the number of wins even worse.

I have to stop here and reiterate that I would NEVER belittle these athletes' efforts, because let's face it, can you get tackled by a linebacker that weighs 280 lbs. and stand up as if nothing happened? That's what I thought. They play a good game and train hard, but it all seems for nothing if you lose games by 45 points.

And if you were paying attention to that last post, I also published a photograph I took of the scoreboard of the North v. South game, showing South had won 50 to 7. Well, I'd like to say that it's now that time of year again... and that game is tonight, my friends.

I've seen people wearing t-shirts adorned with "BEAT SOUTH" and while walking to my morning class, saw a toilet with "South" written on it outside a classroom. It's a huge rivalry we have, and every year, we cheer on our boys to victory.


Last year, they let us down... by about 47 points, but this year, we hope they win
because if you have Lacy, you'll win.

I'll post after the game happens tonight, 7 PM Central.


No comments:

Post a Comment