Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Interesting Lunch Convo. (What I Learned Today... Three)

I was standing in line this afternoon for a chicken sandwich with my friend Elizabeth and behind me stood a few juniors who happen to be talking about same-sex couples. A girl, wearing glasses, said to her two male friends, "I wish there were more openly gay couples."

As she said that, I thought, "Yeah, so they can be harassed and be called 'fags' in the halls." I mean, we do live in Texas, probably the most conservative state in the Union. Anyway...


She continued on, "I know there was a lesbian couple..." and "there was this one gay couple, I think one of them was on the football team. It was the skinny one... for a gay guy, he was cute."

I can see where they feel that if there are open gay couples, it would be a good thing for those who are accepting and tolerant... but I believe that it would be a problem if they began to be bullied because of their sexual orientation.

What I learned today: Texas isn't the most tolerant place to be out publicly.*


* Although we have had gay pride parades, held in both Dallas (here / here / here) and Fort Worth (here).

No comments:

Post a Comment