Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Panoramic Memories

Last Thursday, as is the custom with every graduating class since the 80s, we took a panoramic photograph outside the school's "stadium," forever engraving ourselves in a chemical reaction of paper and light-sensitive plates.

 The pictures were ready the next day and this afternoon, after staying home sick from school, I rolled out the photo and began to look at it closely under my bedroom lamp. First, I located myself. Bing! Someone told me Friday I had a bulldog face-- probably because I didn't smile. Fuck, should have smiled.
As I scanned the photo, I saw the archenemy. It's weird to note when I said the whole "cute button" thing two weeks back, I had glanced at him for maybe two seconds. Seeing him there, though, smiling into the camera's aperture... looking like a fucking cute son-of-a-bitch.

Personally, I realized that this forever will be a physical record, in color, of how we all looked like on September 22, 2011 at 10:22 AM. Of course, we can all look back at this picture 15 years from now and utter: "Holy shit, what the fuck was I thinking." I will cherish this photograph, not only as a reminder of how I appeared a certain Thursday morning, not of how the archenemy and I feuded, but of all the memories that are sure to be made in these next upcoming months before we say good-bye to adolescence and begin our travel on the dirty, dusty road that is Life.


 *** The archenemy: if you ever read this, I just want you to know....
love the "new" hair-do. Seriously, it makes you look even more [you-know-what]
than when we began to feud.

This entry is part of the 
 series.