Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Looks

Something I always try to do secretly is look at others. Not in a "Hey, they're naked!" sort of way... well, probably in that way, although the person isn't naked (sometimes). As I mentioned in a TA post on Tuesday, the upperclassmen are rounded into the school's coliseum while the underclassmen do state-mandated testing.

I was sitting with three friends of mine while loud music blared over the sound system. My friend Jamila was reading an AP Biology study guide and the title of the chapter she was reading was "Chemistry balance in life."

I then began to yell, trying to overpower the loud music, saying how I was tired of all "terrible illegal plant reproductive cycles" taking place in front our and children's eyes. Just like a conservative fired up over "Obamacare," I began to rant how I would ban it, that it would be prohibited and that every lawn would be stripped of greenery. 

While yelling all this with a furor, I noticed someone looking at me. Actually, two people looking at me. 

It was The Archenemy and spouse. Of course, they were in my peripheral vision and I did glance straight at them, making direct eye-contact for no more than a second. He leaned up against her, with the light reflecting off her glasses. As I spoke with a furor, they stared at me, possibly knowing I knew I saw them or maybe not. I was sitting at the far end of a bench with people between myself and them, so it was difficult for them to see me and vice versa. 

I can vividly remember their faces staring at me, the straightened hair; the brown eyebrows and the distinctive haircut a lá Justin Bieber. 

After a minute, they looked away and were looking back at their books that they had laid on a bench between themselves and the other smart-motherfuckers which I guess were studying for the upcoming AP tests in May.* 

Before I continue, I have to say that these gazes, whether unintended or purposely done, are somewhat an excitement to a rather dull day. As I wrote back in February, I previously actively searched for The Archenemy as a kick and a turn-on** to get the blood flowing***.  I did give up on this back in late January, but having them done by him instead of me is sort of interesting, after hearing that he longer cares. It looks like he does after all.
It's like looking into a mirror.

In addition to The Archenemy and spouse, Mr. Rodriguez, whom I last spoke of in Awkward Friends, was also a gaze I garnered. 
He was wearing a blue polo and was sitting on the top bench of smart-motherfuckers, closest to me. As I stared around, he looked straight at me. I immediately turned away, looking at the floor full of people playing sports.

The reason I turned around was because the day before, I had a received an e-mail from the school's counseling center that listed the names of people who were going to college and then the school. Upon reviewing, I saw Mr. Rodriguez had been accepted to a most prestigious university on the East Coast. When I saw him that morning, I put my hand on his shoulder, and said, "Congratulations on [getting in]!" 

He walked right past me. That bastard.
But I don't blame him-- actually I do.

I apologize for holding a grudge-- but if I was in the wrong by saying that, then tell me. Don't just walk away. 


* Taking this test and passing it is the only way to get credit for the class.
** It's like doing something illegal-- or bad.
*** The blood rushing through my veins.