Saturday, July 23, 2011

Uh... One Year Later.

The one year anniversary is usually a milestone where people get together to celebrate a major step in life, be it getting married, having a child (birthday party, no?), or opening a business (Anniversary sale-- 30% off!).



But to me, this upcoming July 24 is not the prettiest milestone in the bunch. This Sunday, July 24, marks the one year anniversary of this famous line being uttered: "You're messing with me for shits and giggles." The shit hit the fan that day and in several weeks, everything would be down the shitter.

In order to remember the anniversary, I saved the chat for posterity and this evening (today being the 18th as of this writing), I look at it, read it and say to myself, "I was such a goddamn smart-ass. I'm surprised he didn't beat me up at all!" I mean, these small chat records show how pig-headed I was (or at least what a smart-ass I was) and how I acted inappropriately towards a friend... something that has not happened since because I learned from that horrible mistake.

To this day, it's pigheadedness and pride that stands in the way of people: some too proud to apologize; others too proud to do anything about it. But you learn as a teenager how to mature, and this is one of those lessons in "Friendship 101."

Here's an excerpt of the chat record that day (with names blacked out for privacy reasons).
click each picture for better readability