Sunday, July 1, 2012

North Sea Texas (Noordzee, Texas)


You know, I had planned to write a very long review of the movie, because I had really liked it. But I'm just not a movie reviewer. I'll keep it brief.
(Rewritten 1/14/13)

It's very easy to get pulled into this movie. I got pulled into's Pim's world of having a socializing mother, broken home life, and his infatuation with Gino. And I realized that if anyone can identify with the characters and with their emotions, you are pulled in so easily.

I know I was, most definitely by his growing infatuation with Gino.

Throughout this film, we see how Pim reacts to the world around him. We see him in love; to feel unwanted; out-of-place; to be rejected by the one he wants; to hide his true desires. But we see him grow emotionally, as voids form in his world: Gino's departure with his girlfriend; his abandonment; Gino's rejection of him (saying they were just "children"). 

But in the end, it all comes back. In a sweet, although a little unsanitary way. And it's the end that will have you tearing up or cracking a big smile, like it had me doing. 

And it's all wrapped up in a '50s-ballad-type signature song, "Wooly Clouds" which really brings the emotions of the characters (i.e. innocence) to a much more visceral level. It really haunts me, even now... *deep breath*. :')

That's all I have to say.
Four stars.

Some stills from the film (in chronological order):

A young Gino at the window in his mother's sash and tiara
Young Pim being walked home by his mother Yvette
Gino and Pim fooling around near a lake.
Pim crying after discovering Gino has a girlfriend
(and after sticking the gift rag around Gino's motorbike's tailpipe)
The drawing Gino's sister Sabrina discovers in Pim's room.
Pim: You're beautiful when you're jealous.
Gino: Who's jealous?
(Gino's rejection of Pim in a brief visit home)
Gino returning from his girlfriend's home...
This one is personal.
... and realizing his mistake.
1/14/13 Update: I'll replace the stills with ones that don't have the logo.
I hate watermarks as much as the next person.